Sunday, April 26, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

If you got a chance to stock up on some Bisquik at Albertson's this week, here is a great recipe to use some of it. I got it from my step-mom (Thanks Lori!).



Chicken Pot Pie

2 c. chopped, cooked chicken

1 1/2 c. frozen mixed vegetables

1/4 c. each, celery & onion

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 c. chicken broth

1 1/2 c. instant bisquick

1 c. milk

1 stick melted butter, divided



Preheat oven to 350*. In greased 9x13 pan, layer chicken, mixed vegetables, celery & onion (sauteed in 1/2 sick butter). Mix soup, chicken broth & season with salt & pepper. Pour over layers. Stir together the biscuit mix & milk. Pour over casserole. Drizzle butter over topping. Bake 40-45 min.



I made it with a few variations. I didn't have celery or onion so I added some dried chopped onion I had in my spice cupboard. I also didn't have and cream of chicken soup (I guess it hasn't been on sale recently =). I got online and Googled cream of chicken soup substitutes and got this recipe . . .



Cream of chicken soup substitute

1 tbsp. butter

3 tbsp. all purpose flour

1/2 c. low sodium chicken broth

1/2 c. low-fat or fat free milk

salt and pepper to taste



Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and add the chicken broth and milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth. Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.



Use in place of condensed cream soups.



Can be varied by using vegetable broth, sauteed chopped celery, celery seed or sauteed chopped mushrooms.

It was very yummy and my family loved it!

No comments: